RE: WARNING: No dynamic config support for database ldbm

On Friday, February 23, 2007 8:57 AM, Asrai khn wrote:
> On 2/23/07, matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Migrate now or migrate later when ldbm is removed.  BDB is faster and
>> offers more backup/recovery features than ldbm.

> yeah we have to decide fast, and look like all  eyes on me now  for making
this move :)

[...]

> and now slapd is starting, i have to run 'slapd_db_recover' to get rid of
warning..
> ldbm_back_db_open: unclean shutdown detected; database may be inconsistent

That message is provided only as an indicator that your back-ldbm database
is likely to be corrupt, and I mean in a bad way. Running db_recover will
NOT fix any inconsistencies in a back-ldbm database or perform any
meaningful recovery. Notice that slapd didn't say it was attempting
recovery. What cleared the warning was simply starting slapd and shutting it
down properly. The database remains potentially corrupt. The only _certain_
way to recover from this is to reload the database from an ldif backup.

Cheers,

Matthew Hardin
Symas Corporation
http://www.symas.com