Re: Segmentation Fault

--On Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:45 PM +0100 Eric MSP Veith <eveith@wwweb-library.net> wrote:

Did you check your machine's RAM, e.g. with memtest86?

Am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2007 13:59:25 schrieb Wolfgang Hennerbichler:
Hi LDAP Folks,

I do have a weird problem, I didn't have before. slapd version
2.3.30-2 (debian etch).

If I alter any entry in the ldap database, the entry is stored. As
soon as I read from the slapd again, it shows (in debug mode) the
following message VERY often:

slap_global_control: unavailable control: 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.2
==> limits_get: conn=0 op=22 dn="cn=admin,dc=bla,dc=bla"

And finally, after watching lines scroll by, says good by with an:
Segmentation fault

You are probably running into the very nasty problem that Debian decided to link its OpenLDAP 2.1 libraries against GnuTLS using their own custom, badly hacked patch. This causes a ton of problems when anything LDAP-wise tries to use SSL/TLS, even if it is one of their later packages, because the 2.1 libraries (and in the case, the 2.3 libraries) end up in the same user space, causing conflicts between GnuTLS and OpenSSL, which leads to the behavior you are seeing.

Bottom line: Don't use Debian's LDAP packages if you want to use Debian. Try building the packages into /usr/local, so that the libraries in /usr/lib do not get loaded.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer