Re: [Fwd: Re: Bug(?) With OpenLDAP 2.3.32]

> daniel@ncsu.edu wrote:
>> Hrm.  Well I don't know what caused it in the first place, but get
>> this...
>> performing this set of operations fixed it altogether:
>>
>> dn: uid=USERNAME,ou=students,ou=people,dc=ncsu,dc=edu
>> changetype: modify
>> delete: ou
>> -
>> replace: ou
>> ou: B A - Physics
>> ou: B S - Philosophy
>> -
>> delete: ncsucurriculumcode
>> -
>> replace: ncsucurriculumcode
>> ncsucurriculumcode: PYA
>> ncsucurriculumcode: LSL
>>

>> After that, even the original method works just fine:
>>
>> dn: uid=USERNAME,ou=students,ou=people,dc=ncsu,dc=edu
>> changetype: modify
>> replace: ou
>> ou: B A - Physics
>> ou: B S - Philosophy
>> -
>> replace: ncsucurriculumcode
>> ncsucurriculumcode: PYA
>> ncsucurriculumcode: LSL
>>

>> I guess I can just keep an eye on it and see if this happens again, but
>> it's not exactly confidence inspiring.  =)
>
> It's too bad you didn't save a copy of the original data for us to
> dissect,
> but what you've described so far sounds like these entries actually had
> two
> separate instances of the ou attribute. Ordinarily that should never

Ya know what!  Now that you said, that, I actually -do- have a copy of the
data in ldif dump format.  (pulled via slapcat)  Is that what would be
useful to see?

> happen.
> What commands did you use to initially populate the database? If you

I used slapadd to populate the database initially.

> repeat
> that (on a separate, fresh database) does the same problem recur?

I've test that theory if I can find some resources to try it with.  (kinda
'strapped' at the moment so to speak)

Little background, our LDAP service is 100% pulled from other sources.
Wiping it and rebuilding it from scratch is always possible.  (in other
words, no end users make changes directly, the only thing that makes any
modifications what-so-ever is the update script we run on the master ldap
server which generates ldif files of what -should- be in the database,
then via some scripts that come with ... Net::LDAP?  some perl module, not
remembering off the top of my head... ldifsort, ldifdiff, etc ... I
compare the last build to todays build and push the modifications via
ldapmodify.

If this occurs again, what all would be useful for me to pull aside before
fixing it?  I'll make a point of doing so.

Daniel