OpenLDAP with referrals to other directory services

Hello All,

I have a requirement for a new infrastructure we are building.

Our organization has a AD holding all employees' account. I maintain a
separate OpenLDAP server with other users' that are not employees. Both
the groups (employees and non-employees) need access to a group of
Linux/Windows/Solaris/Mac servers.

I want the employees to authenticate against AD and non-employees to
authenticate against OpenLDAP server. Also all the Unix-related
attributes for employees and all attributes for non-employees must come
from OpenLDAP server.

I think this should be achievable by some combination of referral and
the OpenLDAP directory design. I just can't seem to get the right idea,
though. Any suggestions/pointers?

TIA,
Prakash