RE: Question about multiple Backends

Maybe I'm missing something, but nothing you've said so far precludes the
use of slapo-translucent. Situations such as this are the reason we
developed the translucent overlay in the first place. Your requirements do
seem contradictory, though: you say that you want users authenticated
against the central password store, yet you the say that the "the passwords
should not be synchronized with the centralised database/LDAP-server for
security reasons." This seems nonsensical- slapo-translucent doesn't
"synchronize" anything. The passwords, such as they are, remain on the
remote LDAP server and should stay there. The slapo-translucent overlay +
back-ldap will pass along the bind request to the remote LDAP server and act
based on its reply. If link security is an issue, encrypt the connection to
the remote directory with SSL. If write access to the password attribute is
permitted by the remote directory, but you don't want a user to use your
groupware app to change it, you can block write access with an ACL.

If I'm missing the point, would you please clarify?

[...]

Cheers,

-Matt

Matthew Hardin