Re: Write to Disk?

--On Friday, October 06, 2006 9:36 PM +0200 Dieter Kluenter <dieter@dkluenter.de> wrote:

"Golden Butler" <golden@cnt.org> writes:

:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";>

Yesterday, we lost power due to an power outage and our openldap server
went down. When power was restored and the server was back up,:p>

I noticed that a lot of entries that I have entered over a period of time
(about two months) were gone! Is there a way to ensure that openldap
write changes to the database to disk instantly? Any help or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.:p>

:p>Â

- Golden:p>

In general slapd writes to disk as soon as possible, depending on pending read operations, that is, a delay of a few seconds my occur. Not writing to disk for a few month seems to be quite odd.If you use a bdb or hdb database you might try to recover the database by means of db_recover. In order to force slapd to write to disk you may define a checkpoint in slapd.conf(5)

IIRC, it only flushes to disk when told to, which is either via the checkpoint settings, or a *normal* slapd shutdown. Otherwise, it does not. So his scenario makes perfect sense to me. Assuming the cache setting holds the entire DB, I believe.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer