Re: bdb backend - reliable or not?

Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> writes:

Previously I was using OpenLDAP 2.1.x and 2.2.x with ldbm backend.

I never had problems with it.

As I've read on the list that ldbm support will be dropped in the next
major version of OpenLDAP, and bdb is the recommended backend, I
decided to deploy a couple of new OpenLDAP servers with bdb backend.

Unfortunately, the choice was a disaster - a couple of tests showed that after powering off the server, OpenLDAP is not able to start anymore - all I see in logs is a single message (loglevel 256):

bdb_db_open: unclean shutdown detected; attempting recovery.

And that's it, it never recovers.

Make sure that you're running the correct "db_recover" based on what BerkeleyDB version you've compiled with OpenLDAP.

run db_recover -h /path/to/db directory, a BerkleyDB tool.