Chaining or Referral

My company was bought out by another company and both companies maintain
an OpenLDAP server for address and E-mail look-ups. We are not in full
swing with merging the two companies together, but I have been tasked with
providing an infrastructure for creating ldif deltas to both companies for
their servers. With that said here is what I have done so far.

I have a virtual Linux SUSE 9.0 server running on an IBM 390 mainframe.
The OpenLDAP package that is installed is openldap2-2.2.6-37.19 (upgrading
to the latest stable release, though desirable, is out of the question).
I'm using BDB as the back-end. I have cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-33.1 packages
installed. I have been able to create two database trees running under one
slapd. I am not able to query both trees using ldapsearch(1). I can only
query one or the other depending on the settings in my ldap.conf file.

Here is the questions: Should I create a superior tree (third database)
and chain all of them together using the superior tree? or Should I create
a referral from one tree to the other? or Is there an even better solution
and what is it?

Regards,

Senior Systems Integration Analyst
Office: (714) 442-7562