Re: OpenLDAP 2.2 and db4 under RHEL4 on Xen 3.0

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:48 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> And of course, this entire discussion was about using RedHat's packages to
> run as a directory server, not about what its capabilities as a client are.
> As for your small scale server roles, when you hit the many issues present
> in RedHat's package some day, just remember to send your questions to
> RedHat.
----
;-)

I actually did ask a question about a problem that I had 2 weeks ago and
had to fix...

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200603/msg00106.html

I probably should have posted back on this...

there obviously was a problem with one of the records and slapcat did
indeed choke on the record and while the file looked fine and could
slapadd back in...it apparently stopped at whichever record so my
slapcat was incomplete. Apparently, phpldapadmin is of a forgiving
nature since it happily exported out the 'damaged' dsa which I wrote to
a file, wiped all the data out and slapadd'ed it all back in and life
was good again.

Yes, it probably would have been better to ask Red Hat because I
deliberately didn't mention the vendor or version to avoid this
discussion, but we all know better answers are likely to come from this
list than from Red Hat.

Keep up the great work - thanks.

Craig

PS - yes, the package on RHEL-4 is weak and I normally have a cron
script do a regular slapcat, just to handle the poor db_recover features
of RHEL but apparently forgot to set that up at this location...and of
course, their power outage extended beyond UPS system and it was a new
setup and I haven't been able to get software working to sense the UPS
signals.