Re: OpenLDAP 2.2 and db4 under RHEL4 on Xen 3.0

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 09:31 +0100, Howard Chu wrote:
> This sounds like a question for the comp.databases.berkeley-db
> newsgroup. Or, perhaps for a Xen mailing list. It is entirely possible
> that Xen does not implement the instructions needed for the
> assembly-language mutex support.

Yes this is the problem.  Xen doesn't support  this assembly-language
mutex nor does it support the nptl glibc (and bdb).  So far it has been
discussed on the Xen mailing list but no solution has been found.  I
guess running OpenLDAP on xen is not that common yet so no one has any
real good advice for building bdb.

RedHat has a bug report on this issue but it is marked "Won't fix" since
RHEL is not supported on any non-NPTL architecture, which is kind of
ironic since RHEL is throwing their weight behind xen which currently is
a non-NPTL architecture.  I'll try an older version of db4 from RHEL3
compiled without nptl support and see if I have any luck.  If not, I'll
degrade to an dbm backend.  I'm sure Redhat will address this issue in
RHEL5 (which will ship with xen 3.0).

Thanks.

Michael