Replication VS copying the master DB

We're using Openldap 2.3.19 with BDB 4.3.29.

I had stopped replication for a few days to figure out some problems in our slave machine... Now I've a huge amount of data to replicate... I was wondering if I should just copy the entire db from the master to the slave. Is it recommended to copy the master DB to the slave? I know that we can copy slave db files to another slave. But I haven't seen anything that says we can copy the db files from the master to a slave. Is this safe or should I just the replica catch up?

Krish