slapd 2.3.19 freezes up

I have a pretty serious issue in my environment... I've around 6 million nodes in my ldap tree... And this server is running on a box with the following linux configuration...

Cent0S 4.0 (basically redhat enterprise 4.0)
upgraded to a 2.6.13.2 smp kernel

We are using Openldap 2.3.19 with BDB 4.3.29.

slapd keeps running for more than 24 hours without any issue... Everything seems very normal... But suddenly something happens and immediately the ldap server starts behaving very wierdly... The CPU usage for slapd hits 99.9% and it does not do any I/O at all... All parameters from iostat are just 0... So, it becomes completely CPU bound and pretty soon connections start piling up and eventually it starts refusing connections and at this point the server freezes up...

We did a strace and found that slapd was stuck in a futex... Has anyone seen this behaviour before...

The same thing happens when I do a query for all the nodes in the server too... Has anyone seen this kind of a behaviour?

Krish