how to build only the client libraries

Hi There,

I am in the process of upgrading OpenLDAP client libraries to 2.3.17. I
have configured with  --disable-slapd --disable-slurpd option.

When i run make command I am getting some liblber.la and libldap.la files,
but in the old version of OpenLDAP we were using liblber.a and  libldap.a.

So my questions are what is this .la stands for ?  and why I couldn't build
with our client application? When we build our client application it is not
recognising
 liblber.la and  libldap.la as  valid library files.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Shan