Re: Berkeley DB versions

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:21:27 -0500 (EST)
Aaron Richton <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> I'm still using 4.2.52(+4). Quanah still lists 4.2.52(+4) on his config
> website.  I'm not sure if anybody else confesses to using Solaris...

I admit it, and I posted about it here last summer, I believe.

Sol 10 x86 flat out smoked Linux and FreeBSD all the times I tested it.
I did a simple test of 10 parallel queries of the entire DB (about 10k records,
12M ldif total). Each query averaged about 15 secs per query on sol10,
over a minute for Linux, and not worth mentioning for FreeBSD 4/5 (haven't
tested 6). Varying the number of threads would sometimes cause some of
the queries to finish earlier on Linux, but I don't believe the average
was affected very much.

This was on a machine I set up to triple boot Linux, Solaris, & FreeBSD
using the same software versions of BDB & openldap.

If anyone else has corroborating or contradictory evidence I'd love to hear
it.

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh@cise.ufl.edu                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |