Meta backend finds results but also returns '32 No such object'

Hi everyone,

While trying to make the meta backend talk to a backend LDAP server, I
get the following curious result:

$ ldapsearch -h localhost -D "xxx" -b "dc=example,dc=com" -x -W "(sn=boven)"

dn: uid=bovep,ou=Contractor,dc=example,dc=com
givenName: Paul
objectClass: top
# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object
# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

The LDAP proxy properly returns the requested record, but also returns a 'no such object'. If I query the LDAP server in question directly, I get the same data returned, but with a result code of 0 (success). I wonder if anyone can help me understand why the proxy is returning an error message? I've looked at the traffic between proxy (OpenLDAP) and backend LDAP server (SunOne) and it is properly proxying that one ldap-search, without doing any other requests.

Version information: OpenLDAP 2.2.13-4 (current RH4 AS package).
Backend LDAP server is a SunOne 5.2 Directory server.

My slapd.conf:
pidfile /var/run/slapd.pid
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
allow bind_v2
database meta
suffix "dc=example,dc=com"
uri "ldap://pool/dc=example,dc=com";

(Yes, for the example above I don't yet need the meta backend but it will talk to several LDAP servers later on).

Regards, Paul Boven.