Re: LDAP

--On Monday, December 05, 2005 2:34 AM +0530 Sachin Bhugra <bhugra.sachin@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Quanah,

  Yes, you are right..both RHEL 3 and 4 have different version of
OpenLDAP, so does that means that I cannot transfer the database from
my master to slave(using scp)? Also, i tried slapcat earlier which
showed the same entries on both master and slave. Then i copied the
LDIF text file from master to slave and tried to run ldapadd on slave,
but then it gave me error "no structuralObjectClass".....

Also, the way you are telling me to migrate the database, is it
different from the way i did?

Hi,

Please keep replies to the list.

If the versions of OpenLDAP are different major versions (2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3) then no, you cannot simply use scp to copy the database files around. I'm guessing that the RHEL3 server is running OpenLDAP 2.0 which is many years old. You would do much better to run a modern release of OpenLDAP. Also, instead of ldapadd, "slapadd" is the preferred way to bulk load an LDAP server. However, it looks like you are running 2.0, so you'll need to fix the various data issues already cropping up before bulk loading.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer