Re: Index problems: search results returning no responses

--On Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:52 PM +0200 Billy <billy@billy.demon.nl> wrote:

tor, 14.07.2005 kl. 17.45 skrev Graham Leggett:

> The slapd-bdb(5) manpage already says "Note: changing index settings
> requires rebuilding indices, see slapindex(8)." The default slapd.conf
> is not intended to be a substitute for reading the actual
> documentation.

For what reason would an end user consider consulting the slapd-bdb
manpage before adding an additional directive to slapd.conf? What a
completely non obvious and counter-intuitive course of action to take.

Documenting something "somewhere" is no substitute for documenting
something in a meaningful and relevant location. If you store your
coffee and sugar in the bathroom medicine cabinet it is no surprise that
your guest cannot make themselves a cup of coffee.

FWIW (I've completely gone over to 2.3.4 on my test rig, it's dead stable on RHAS3 - whatever you do to it - though goodness knows 2.2.17 is turning up trumps in production too).

I've:

- Converted all the OL 2.3.4 man pages to html (man2html);
- put them on my test rig's web site;
- indexed them all with swish-e, so that I can do word searches on them
all.

Obviously I have (and use) the 2.3.4 admin guide too.

Still can't find Quanah's back-config anywhere ...

Research the -F option to slapd in the slapd (8) man page, and see:

<http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/slapdconf2.html>

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount