Re: Index problems: search results returning no responses

Graham Leggett wrote:
 Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Did you run slapindex to generate the indices for your existing
> database?
>
> If you modify slapd.conf with new indices, OpenLDAP will only add
> it for new/changed entries (2.3 with back-config actually does
> reindexing on the fly).

 No, I didn't - there was no warning message in the config file or the
 syslog warning that this was necessary.

 Is it possible to document this in the default slapd.conf file under
 the section where indexes are listed to say that this is required?

The slapd-bdb(5) manpage already says "Note: changing index settings requires rebuilding indices, see slapindex(8)." The default slapd.conf is not intended to be a substitute for reading the actual documentation.

 Or even better, is it possible for openldap to detect when the
 indexes have been changed, and make sure they are up to date on
 startup or on reload?

Not in OpenLDAP 2.2, since that release is feature-frozen now and going into end-of-life soon. If you want dynamic index management use OpenLDAP 2.3.

Regards, Graham --

-- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun http://www.symas.com http://highlandsun.com/hyc Symas: Premier OpenSource Development and Support