Re: openldap 2.3 recommended bdb version

> OpenLDAP 2.3 requires that you use the transactions patch to BDB 4.2.52

Strictly speaking, this isn't true. It's greatly beneficial to run with
Degree 2 isolation, but if sites believe they have a compelling reason to
not use unofficial patches, they don't have to. It's probably not in their
best interest, but who are we to judge? (Until they start asking
openldap-software why their disks fill...)

I have a feeling that the Degree 2 isolation patch is going to become a
FAQ as 2.3 gets adopted. I've tried to summarize under "Which version of
BerkeleyDB should I use?" in the FAQ-O-Matic; revisions encouraged.
Hopefully this will eventually get to be a Google hit for "BerkeleyDB
4.2.52 library needs TXN patch!"

Note that I explicitly left out discussion of 4.2 vs. 4.3; I consider that
separate from the Degree 2 patch issue. However, I present some recent
thoughts on the issue.

Howard Chu said:
> 4.3.27 has proven to be too unstable for use. The jury is still out on
> 4.3.28. I've reverted to using BDB 4.2.

and I say:
4.2.52, plus all official patches, plus the unofficial Degree 2 patch,
proved itself stable with 2.2 and works with 2.3. I'd be interested to
hear feedback results with 4.3.28, but will personally focus on a OpenLDAP
2.3+patched Berkeley DB 4.2 combination for now.