Re: Many 'Can't contact LDAP server' errors

--On Monday, June 20, 2005 11:58 AM -0700 John Duino <jduino@nateng.com> wrote:

I whole-heartedly agree and have voiced my concerns about being forced
(by my management) to use a 'supported' Linux version (which has caused
me more grief than 'support'...but I digress).

As I have not looked at any other versions of openldap, is the upgrade
'path' simple or will it require extensive rework of the configurations
and back-end files?

There is quite a difference between a supported Linux OS, and a supported version of server software running on that OS. RedHat will not be able to provide you with any real support on OpenLDAP 2.0.27 (Stanford's experience with RedHat support is it is pretty much non-existent on anything, even kickstart), so you may wish to educate your management about the difference (if possible). There are companies (like Symas Corporation (http://www.symas.com)) that will provide support for OpenLDAP specifically. I also would generally advise against thinking of the OpenLDAP shipped with various Linux distributions as something to be used for providing a directory service. The distros can (and do) make updates (or not, as in RedHats case) on their own criteria, that may not meet yours.

The upgrade path is not simple in going from 2.0-> (2.2 or 2.3), in that a variety of things have changed, and new (and better) backends like BDB and HDB have been introduced.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer