Re: Many 'Can't contact LDAP server' errors

--On Monday, June 20, 2005 10:07 AM -0700 John Duino <jduino@nateng.com> wrote:

Greetings! (I sent this last week but it doesn't appear to have ever
made it through to the list.)

We are having a problem that seems to be growing. We have openldap
deployed across a wan (primary at one site, replicants at remote sites).
At present it is only really being used for mail routing and passwords.
Some sites have as few as five active people. Systems are dual Xeon,
2GB, RHES3, with sendmail 8.12.11-4 and openldap 2.0.27.

Hi John,

This may or may not be related to the issues you are seeing, but I will note that OpenLDAP 2.0.27 is an extremely ancient version of OpenLDAP that has been deprecated for a few years now (RedHat unfortunately shipped it much longer than they should have).

Newer version of OpenLDAP run many times faster than the old 2.0 branch (the currently release is the OpenLDAP 2.3 branch). So at some point, you probably want to look at upgrading. Note that issue that are truly related to the 2.0 branch won't really result in a fix for you, since 2.0 is no longer having any development or changes performed on it.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer