Re: Plea for Server Side Sorting

First, what SQL does or doesn't do is quite off-topic.

Second, there are good reasons why sorted results control
remains unimplemented in slapd(8).

1) even properly implemented, the sorted results control
adds little value.  Clients simply cannot rely on the
servers sorting the results (even where the servers used
support this control), nor rely terribly on the order of
results where the servers do sort the result (order in
many X.500/LDAP match rules is "a local matter"). To
prove the point, I committed to HEAD a conformant
implementation of the sorted results control extension
which doesn't sort a thing.

2) simple implementations (no indexing support) of this
control won't scale past a small number of entries, especially
where other extensions (such as paged results) are involved.

3) complex implementations (with indexing support) won't
scale to multiple databases and/or multiple servers because
of required merging.

I would have serious doubts of any LDAP client which relied
on LDAP sorted results control.

Kurt