Re: Plea for Server Side Sorting

--On Friday, April 1, 2005 9:37 AM +1000 Dave Horsfall <daveh@ci.com.au>

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Eric Nichols wrote:
>> Server side sorting is a huge gain for LDAP application programmers
>> (like myself).  It saves the effort of having to store the results (in
>> memory) in order for them to be sorted.  I guess the equivalent would be
>> like not having sorted results for SQL queries.
> Except the client (SQL) performs the sorting, not the server...
Huh?  I think not, given that the client can request the first N results
from the server in sorted order.  Also, the client can request grouping,
and other things from the server that require server side sorting.  In fact,
SQL can even subtotal columns by groups for you on the server side.

Sure, you can get unsorted result sets and sort them yourself from SQL, but,
SQL does require server side sorting in a complete implementation.  Oracle,
Sybase, and MySQL all provide server side sorting.

> --
> Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 8425-5508 (d)
> -5500 (sw) Corinthian Engineering, Level 1, 401 Pacific Hwy, Artarmon,
> NSW 2064, Australia

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (Darwin)