Re: Editing standard schema files / search filters

--On Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:23 PM +1100 Robert Davidson <puttputt@iaccess.ws> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to LDAP (openldap) and am currently in the process of programming
LDAP support into an in-house program as well as learning about LDAP at
the same time.

What I need to know is, how much of a sin is it to edit what I believe is
"standard" LDAP schema (eg /etc/ldap/schema/nis.ldap) ?

I wanted to get >= and <= working in search filters, and the way I
achieved that was to add the rule "ORDERING integerOrderingMatch" to the
uidNumber attribute, in the nis.schema file distributed with OpenLDAP 2.1.

It doesn't feel like the right way to do it to me, so is there a better
way to achieve the same thing, or is this way correct?

The various schema files are based on RFC's. If the RFC doesn't define an ordering rule for the attribute, then by modifying the schema you are now violating the RFC and have what would technically be an invalid schema. If you need to have an attribute that supports ordering, there is nothing stopping you from creating your own schema with your own attribute with its own rules. :)

See:

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2307.txt>

which specifically does not include an ORDERING rule.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer