retrieve all entries of a search

Hello,

due to search results limits (in size and operation time), a call to ldap_search_ext_s() won't allways retrieve all the entries matching the search. What is the best way to achieve this goal ?
I don't want answers like "log as rootdn" please :-)

is it possible to do several searches ?
I know that paged searches are not yet implemented in OpenLDAP.

The only way I found is to make a first search, then build a huge filter excluding the previous results, and do it until there is no more result. Completly stupid :)

thank you very much

François