Re: Building 2.2.19 from source

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 00:19 -0600, Jon Roberts wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > possibly but I think I would benefit greatly from the experience of
> > compiling myself since it's not only the original install but the
> > continued maintenance/updates of the parts and pieces too.
>
> I use rpms here and there, but I do prefer to compile openldap from
> source. There are many compile options, you get to see the tests run,
> you can put the software where you want it, ...etc.
>
> > I'm not convinced that I need to compile another version of openssl from
> > source on RHEL.
>
> The only concern would be security issues with OpenSSL 0.9.7a vs e (I
> seem to recall there was an issue with 0.9.7c). FWIW, openldap compiles
> just fine with 0.9.7a along with the modern BDB and Cyrus SASL that come
> with Fedora Core 3. Ordinarily, I would prefer to build these from
> source too, but the dependencies are onerous particularly for OpenSSL.
> Free ain't easy, but it's getting better all the time.
----
I'm assuming that the security patches are back ported and I'm going to
risk it (despite Quanah's admonitions).

Yeah but I'm not dealing with FC-3 - this is RHEL 3 and...

# rpm -qa|grep db4
db4-devel-4.1.25-8
db4-4.1.25-8
db4-utils-4.1.25-8

I don't think so (older, not patched)

]# rpm -qa|grep cyrus
cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.15-10
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.15-10
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.15-10
cyrus-sasl-2.1.15-10
cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.15-10

Little older, don't know...was easy enough to compile

Craig