Re: Building 2.2.19 from source

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 00:19 -0600, Jon Roberts wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > possibly but I think I would benefit greatly from the experience of
> > compiling myself since it's not only the original install but the
> > continued maintenance/updates of the parts and pieces too.
> I use rpms here and there, but I do prefer to compile openldap from
> source. There are many compile options, you get to see the tests run,
> you can put the software where you want it, ...etc.
> > I'm not convinced that I need to compile another version of openssl from
> > source on RHEL.
> The only concern would be security issues with OpenSSL 0.9.7a vs e (I
> seem to recall there was an issue with 0.9.7c). FWIW, openldap compiles
> just fine with 0.9.7a along with the modern BDB and Cyrus SASL that come
> with Fedora Core 3. Ordinarily, I would prefer to build these from
> source too, but the dependencies are onerous particularly for OpenSSL.
> Free ain't easy, but it's getting better all the time.
I'm assuming that the security patches are back ported and I'm going to
risk it (despite Quanah's admonitions).

Yeah but I'm not dealing with FC-3 - this is RHEL 3 and...

# rpm -qa|grep db4

I don't think so (older, not patched)

]# rpm -qa|grep cyrus

Little older, don't know...was easy enough to compile