Building 2.2.19 from source

following Quanah's information

On RHEL 3 (openssl-0.9.7a-33.12)

is there any reason to build openssl-.97e from source or can I just link
stuff to the one in place by Red Hat?

if the answer is to build it from source (and my experiences of building
from source have always been simpler projects) then...

his suggested ./config options are:

env CC=gcc LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib" \
PERL=/usr/local/bin/perl LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib \
./Configure --prefix=/usr/local
--openssldir=/usr/local/openssl \
shared solaris-sparcv9-gcc

Now I know that perl is in /usr/bin/
and shared solaris-sparcv9-gcc isn't for me

So my questions (I have only built easier items from source):

1 - shared linux ?
2 - LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib ?
3 - Does this make sense to do all this?
4 - Is there a reason to go through the extra hassle of making rpms?
5 - Anything else I need to know?

Can I continue to ask questions of this list about building the
prerequisites without getting people upset at me?

Craig