Re: the permission wrong of the database which created by slapindex.

--On Friday, December 31, 2004 9:00 AM +0800 Penghui Wang <wangpenghui@realss.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Thursday, December 30, 2004 10:01 AM +0800 Penghui Wang
<wangpenghui@realss.com> wrote:

My OpenLDAP database would often change. So i have to run the command
slapindex daily.
Or anyother ideas ? I am not clearly now.
Thanks

Why do you have to run slapindex daily?  OpenLDAP updates the indices
every time a change is written.  The only time you need to run
slapindex is if you add a new attribute to be indexed after the
database has already been created.

Thanks for your response. I have misundertood it before. You means that
if any change happened in the database, OpenLDAP would update the indices
authomatic?

If slapd is running, and the change through slapd, then yes, it automatically updates whatever indices are necessary for that change. Also, if you are creating a new server, and you use slapadd to create the database, slapadd will create the indices that are defined in the slapd.conf file at that time.

There is almost never a reason to run slapindex.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer