Re: Syncrepl and chain Overlay

> On Thursday 09 December 2004 21:03, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm having some trouble to get the chain overlay to work on a syncrepl
>> > consumer with current HEAD code. My config basically looks like this:
> [..]
>> >
>> > Any idea what's going wrong here? Is the above configuration screwed?
>>
>> didn't go into details reading your config, so there might be something
>> more; one thing I see is tht your configurtion is missing the
>> "chain-acl-authcDN", "chain-acl-passwd" directives that tell the
>> underlying back-ldap what identity to rebind as when following the
>> referral.
>
> I added those directives, but that didn't bring any progess. The behaviour
> is
> still the same. I got a bit further by using the chain overlay as a global
> overlay

mmmmh, that global overlay stuff needs some review; I mean, for write
operations I suspect some of the data consolidation should occur earlier
so that regular overlays can be injected as global.  Otherwise, global
overlays need to be specifically designed to work as such.  This does not
defeat their purpose, that is the capability of manipulating requests
before a database is selected, but does not work toward reducing code
duplication.

> instead of tieing it to a database. I could at least see that the
> consumer did a bind on the master server but then it crashed somewhere in
> back-ldap (ldap_back_modify() ). I'll investigate further.
>
> Seems that Quanah is right and this part of HEAD is a bit unstable at the
> moment.

I'v ebeen playing with the chain overlay recently (see my fixes this week)
and it worked well alone.  There might be some isses in cooperating with
the syncrepl.  Did you try reversing the overlay stacking order?

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it