Re: params_cache_rsa

* Amy Tanner (atanner@ahpcrc.org) wrote:
> We recently noticed on 2 of our slapd servers the file
> /var/run/slapd/params_cache_rsa file was disappearing.  I see a cron job
> that runs daily removing both that file and params_cache_dh.
> params_cache_dh seems to get recreated but params_cache_rsa does not.
> With this file missing, ldaps connection attempts fail and cause slapd
> to hang.
>
> What should be recreating the params_cache_rsa file and when?

slapd should be creating them when a connection that needs them comes
in...

> What are these files used for?

The parameters are time consuming to generate so we attempt to cache
them.  exim and other software does basically the same thing.

> Note: we are running openldap 2.1.30-2 with libgnutls11 1.0.16-8 (both out
> of backports) on debian stable.

The GNUTLS support was added by Debian to get around licenseing problems
w/ GPL applications which use LDAP.  Unfortunately, it hasn't been
incorporated upstream yet (if it ever will..), so a better thing to do
would be to open a bug in Debian's BTS on this.  The latest reworking of
the GNUTLS patch was done by one of the Debian maintainers (Roland), if
you file a bug in Debian's BTS he'll see it there.

	Stephen