another referral question

I'm experimenting with OpenLDAP. I have it up and running. I was able to successfully add, delete, modify, and search for users with an LDIF file exactly like those in the OpenLDAP 2.2 Administrator's Guide. As I move on to something more like what I want to do I've run into problems adding a user with an LDIF file. I've attempted to strip down my slapd.conf file to the bare minimum needed. I can start slapd without error.

Here is what I execute and see

ldapadd -f AddDomain.ldif -x -D "cn=WWSAdmin,o=WWS" -w secret
adding new entry "o=WWS,dc=JoeTest,dc=com"
ldapadd: update failed: o=WWS,dc=JoeTest,dc=com
ldap_add: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
additional info: referral missing

Here is my slapd.conf file as it stands

#global configuration section

include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema

#database section

database bdb
suffix "o=WWS"
directory /var/lib/openldap-data
rootdn "cn=WWSAdmin,o=WWS"
rootpw secret

#indexed attribute definitions

index objectClass eq

#database access control definitions
access to * by * write

Here is the LDIF file I'm trying to load

dn: o=WWS,dc=JoeTest,dc=com
ou: JoeTest.com
objectClass: organizationalUnit

I can't help but feel it is something that should be obvious I'm missing. Especially since my previous test went well.