Re: postalAddress index? and recommendation

--On Friday, June 18, 2004 4:31 PM +0200 Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:

Daniel Henninger writes:
/local/ldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 105: approx index of attribute
"postalAddress" disallowed

Misleading error message. 'disallowed' should be 'not implemented'.

I'm not sure that is quite right.  He said:

I've tried eq, sub, and approx indexes and they all give me:
/local/ldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 105: approx index of attribute
"postalAddress" disallowed

That would imply he tried all 3 of the indices seperately (I sent another email to get further clarification on that..).

The schema clearly says that "eq" and "sub" should be allowed.

attributetype ( NAME 'postalAddress'
       DESC 'RFC2256: postal address'
       EQUALITY caseIgnoreListMatch
       SUBSTR caseIgnoreListSubstringsMatch
       SYNTAX )

So if he did:

index postalAddress eq
index postalAddress sub
index postalAddress eq,sub

(which is how his email reads)

and got that error, than that would be a bug.

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/Shared Services
Stanford University