RE: Converting 2.0.x databases to 2.1.x.. without LDIFs

--- Howard Chu <hyc@highlandsun.com> wrote:
> [...]

For reference: The
slapcat-slapd-2.0-gdbm/slapadd-slapd-2.0-gdbm tools
are packed with in the fedora openldap 2.1.22-8 rpm.

>but I note that "slapadd" is used
> for adding entries to
> databases. "slapcat" is used for dumping their
> contents. See if you have a
> corresponding slapcat tool available.

Your comments helped me greatly, thank you very much

For reference to others who may be caught out with a
system upgrade moving from openldap 2.0 to 2.1: I
converted my 2.0 ldap databases after upgrading to 2.1
by following these steps:

- Extracting all the old schema files from an old
archive to /etc/openldap/schema  (move your new
schemas out the way first) and using my old slapd.conf

- Used the following command to convert to ldif:
   slapcat-slapd-2.0-gdbm -d -1 -f
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf -l ldiffile

- Moved back the new schemas, and updated the
slapd.conf file to the newer version and new database
location, then imported ldif file with:
   slapadd -v  -d 256 -l ldiffile

Ok, it didn't go that smoothly. I used
/redhat/kerberosobject.schema in v2.0.x, which now
complained about AttributeType not found "krbName" in
v2.1. After a brief French lesson (
the fix is just to copy the krbName attribute out of
the old core.schema into the top of the

Hope this saves someone a few hours.

Thanks again.

Do you Yahoo!?