Re: db region files, txn logs, and db files should all exist in separate directories

--On Monday, February 02, 2004 7:30 PM -0500 ashish@ratboy.net wrote:

Currently there is no way to split off  the txn logs, db files,
and db region files into three separate directories.
This would help with performance (especially on the master
server), as the three separate components could be placed
on separate disks.

db region files (__db.*) -> /var/ldap/openldap-bdb db files (*.bdb) -> /var/ldap/openldap-bdb/data txn logs (log.*) -> /var/ldap/openldap-bdb/transaction_log

The only configuration option available right now is the bdb
directory, and all the above mentioned files get created in that
directory.

If there exists some ways to fix this, I would appreciate it...
If not, do I file this as an enhancement request in the openldap
bug repository?

Actually,

You are incorrect, it is quite possible to do exactly what you have asked, and this is a BDB issue more than an OpenLDAP issue. ;)

You can place your log files into a separate directory using the

set_lg_dir /var/ldap/openldap-bdb/transaction_log

in DB_CONFIG

I forget how to separate out the __db.* bits from the *.bdb, but I recall it is quite doable (I did it once, didn't really help much).

Also, in the OpenLDAP 2.2 series, you can use a memory cache for the __db.* files, which appears to be quite efficient.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer