Re: Looking for proven version

Kirk A. Turner-Rustin wrote:

The line you mention does not appear in our /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap.
We are running OpenLDAP 2.1.22 built from the RedHat RawHide SRPM on
three RedHat 9 boxes with all kernel and other updates from RH.

I am following this thread with some trepidation because I am preparing to
migrate these directories from back-ldbm to back-bdb (we just ordered a
second hard disk for each of our two production LDAP servers for storing
the transaction logs).

If a "feature" in the RH9 kernel is going to ditz my indexes after we
switch to bdb, I may hold off. Our server manager would balk at my using
a non-RH kernel on these boxes because it will complicate our patching
routines. Nathan: Were you running the most recent RH9 kernel
(2.4.20-20.9) before you switched to the one you compiled yourself?

I'm a RedHat man, largely because ... but (almost all) the kernels have always meant utter grief to the machines I've installed. I use stable kernel.org source with the patches I need and compile for the release, hardware and utilities on which the kernel is to be installed. The systems have then been as stable as can be expected.

Tony Earnshaw

Do not CC me or your mail will probably be rejected.
I don't like it either. Blame Swen and see below.

Mail: billy-at-billy.demon.nl