Re: 'Implementation specific error' error

Philip Reynolds <philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie> writes:

> Hi, I've been having a small problem, getting OpenLDAP running on my
> desktop machine even though I've run a few successful LDAP servers
> elsewhere. The machine in question is running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE
> I've installed openldap 2.1 from the ports (this issue existed with
> my original 2.2 installation also so I thought downgrading would be
> better) and I'm having problems.
> I took a quick look over the "Quick Start Guide" again, before
> trying to add entries.
> by using:
> $ ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie" \
> 	-W -f ~/test.ldif
> I'm prompted for my password and I get the following:
> Enter LDAP Password:
> adding new entry "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie"
> ldapadd: update failed: cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie
> ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
> I can only presume this "implementation specific error 80" is
> actually something errno produced. 80 on FreeBSD corresponds to an
> error code of EAUTH
> $ awk '$3 == "80" {print $0}' < /usr/include/errno.h
> #define EAUTH           80              /* Authentication error */
> Initially my thoughts were towards permissions, and intro(2) on my
> system seems to suggest EAUTH is for authentication against NFS
> (although there's every possibility some other library is throwing
> it).
> Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone shed any more light on
> what's happening, perhaps. Running ldapadd with -v doesn't help me
> much more.

You can have a look at ldap errors in ldap.h
The hex value of 80 is 0x50, the error is

#define LDAP_OTHER         0x50

so your error is unspecified. I know this information is not of great
help to you, but you can be shure it is not an authentication problem
and you can exclude any error listed in ldap.h.

Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung
Tel:040.64861967 | Fax: 040.64891521
mailto: dkluenter(at)dkluenter.de