Upgrading on RedHat 7.3

Has anyone on this list upgraded OpenLDAP on a RH7.3 server after
installing the distro rpm package. The rpm package
(openldap-2.0.27-2.7.3) is installed now and based on my experience with
other packages, I am trying to remove it before building a new version.
However, many dependencies :(  Should I go ahead and build with the
other version there making prefix=/usr? If so, will up2date want to
update my openldap sometime or can I just configure not to and not have
a problem?

I tried posting this to the RH list, but no responses :(

--
Robert