From: Pierangelo Masarati [mailto:ando@sys-net.it]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 2:53 AM
To: Suresh Krishnan (QB/LMC)
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: OpenLDAP 2.1 DN question

Suresh Krishnan (QB/LMC) wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>	I recently migrated from OpenLDAP 2.0x to 2.1. Whenever I try to add an entry of a specific objectclass I get an Invalid DN error
>
>ldap_perror gives
>PDK_LDAP_ADD_ENTRY_SYNC:: Invalid DN syntax
>        additional info: invalid DN
>
>This code used to work fine with OpenLDAP 2.0x. When I add this specific entry I use a DN whose RDN is not composed of an attribute type of this object class. I think this is what is causing the problem. eg.
>
>objectclass has only attributetypes A,B,C
>but my dn is D=3,dc=foo,dc=blah...
>
>Is there a requirement somewhere that D has to be an attribute type for the given object class or is this a bug?

The requirement is a bit different: the attribute types,
and the respective values, that are used in an'antry's
RDN must be present in the entry as well. As a
consequence,

D=3,dc=foo,dc=blah

needs a

D: 3

attribute; note that

D: 4 would be erroneous as well, because "D"
would present, but its value would not match
that in the RDN.

Pierangelo.