[Date Prev][Date Next]
RFC 2782 - client support for SRV records
My curiosity was piqued by Bruno Bonfils' post earlier this week:
* Subject: LDAP Tools and DNS SRV Records
* Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:21:32 +0200
I'm currently playing with SRV and SLP. I found a mail from Kurtz
which say openldap tools doens't support SRV, but the mail is old (Jan
2001) and i've found this line :
libraries/libldap/dnssrv.c: len = res_query(request, C_IN, T_SRV,
so, I guess ldaps tools (build with dnssrv modules) can use SRV
records. But i don'f found any options in man pages or other..
After some slightly more then casual searching through the RFCs (2782,
3088) and the software/developers mailing lists - I could only find 2
("current") references to SRV support in ldap clients.
1: Kurt Zeilenga's Nov. 2002 reply regarding SRV records w/ LDAP clients:
* Subject: Re: How to use Bind SRV records with LDAP clients
* Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 15:23:19 -0800
Note that OpenLDAP clients don't, themselves, support location
of LDAP services using DNS SRV records.
2: Luke Howard's (PADL) support for SRV records in nss_ldap
(But oddly enough - apparently not in pam_ldap.)
1) Is there a reason that SRV support has not been implemented in
the openldap client tools? More generally - Can anyone comment
on whether SRV support is lacking in (ldap) client tools for a
particular reason, or just lack of interest?
2) Is the OpenLDAP community willing to accept patches implementing
RFC 2782 compliant SRV lookups for the client apps?
I know that there is interest in having the OpenLDAP tools "SRV enabled."
If there is no reason preventing acceptance of code enabling SRV lookups
- I am sure that patches will be forthcoming.