Re: slapd asserting and aborting

> Hi,
>
> We are running the 2.1.16 openldap on Solaris 8. We are using the
> back-ldap feature on this to
> get info from a netscape ldap server.
>
> The slapd.conf contains
>
> uri "ldap://ldap.smi.sendmail.com:489";
>
> (The netscape ldap server is running on port 489).
>

> And we get an assertion failure, when we run it in foreground with debug
>  level of 256
>
> Assertion failed: 0, file io.c, line 681
> ----

There is a comment in that file at that line,
saying that if the assertion is triggered, then
the ber structure is messed up (e.g. the netscape
server returned bogus data); if you remove the
assert, or compile with -DNDEBUG, you'll get a
run-time error; it is better than seeing the
server crash.  You may file an ITS and hopefully
someone will be able to figure out a safe way to
catch the encoding error and handle it in a cleaner
way (e.g. log a significant explanation of the
encoding error and don't die).

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati