RE: Adding attributes (in a massive way)....

Updating a non-indexed attribute will be quicker than indexed, since no index
needs to be updated then.

You two may be measuring very different scenarios; using the commandline
ldapmodify with one modification per invocation will of course be slower than
feeding a large LDIF to a single invocation, due to connection management
overhead. If your Perl script wrote all the mods through one connection, as
opposed to a single connection per mod, then it would also be quicker than
otherwise.

  -- Howard Chu