Re: Adding attributes (in a massive way)....

Hi,

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 14:57, Frank Swasey wrote:
> Today at 8:52am, Katja Sizova wrote:
> > Are there any ideas about slapadd and slapcat performance (any
> > platform/number of entries/entry size)? Is there a linear dependency of
> > the number of entries? If I am to import/export let's say 10 million
> > entries (12K entry size) on a SUN Netra 1405 what should I expect?
>
> On my servers (IBM x330's with dual 1.2GHz Pentium III processors
> running Red Hat Linux 7.3 and Openldap 2.0.27), I am able to slapcat my
> almost 54000 entry database in about 18 seconds.  The slapadd takes
> about 4m30s.  An ldapmodify hitting all 54000 entries would take about
> 15 hours.

I cannot believe tthe numbers for the ldapmodify.
Did you actually measure them ?

I just tested the modification of the description attribute on 20.000
inetorgPerson objects (with about 25 attributes each) on an
800MHz AMD Duron with 512 MB RAM:
It took not more than 12 min and 30 sec.

The update was done using a Perl script based on Net::LDAP,
slapd and the client script were running on the same host.
During the update the system was running the KDE GUI and
was used for web browsing and a few ldap searches on exactly
the same LDBM backend (I wanted to know how fast the update
worked before it ended ;-),

And no, the description attribute is not indexed.

Peter
--
Peter Marschall
eMail: peter@adpm.de