Re: logging in as root takes ages...

Clearly this issue is not specific to OpenLDAP Software.
As your note says, the problem occurs when your server is
unavailable.

I suggest you direct your question to a more appropriate
forum, such as one about Redhat Linux, NSS, NSS_LDAP,
PAM, or PAM_LDAP.

PADL hosts lists for NSS_LDAP <nssldap@padl.com>
and PAM_LDAP <pamldap@padl.com>.

Kurt