Re: Segmentation fault on 2.1.13

ons, 2003-02-26 kl. 19:18 skrev Michael Ströder:

> > Indeed that is my case, with RH 8.0 we have db4-4.0.14-14 , but I did
> > compile statically to DB 4.1.25 using CPFALGS and LDFLAGS. It used to
> > work fine when I compiled 2.1.12 the same way !? What can be wrong ? A
> > miscompilation of me or a real problem with 2.1.13 ?
>
> I did not succeed either on SuSE Linux 8.1. Same situation here: I can't
> remove the db-4.0.14 package since a lot of other packages rely on it.
> Especially the SASL and Kerberos stuff uses the package db.
>
> I have no clue how to work around that.

The whole Red Hat-derived rpm business sometimes makes me want to puke (and
I'm an an RH fan.)

The whole business of installing non-rpm software alongside rpms
can in the worst case lead to horrible conflicts, in the best to needless
GBs of unnecessary disk consumption.

A couple of days ago I found checkinstall, which makes rpms on the fly from
any compiled source code. A die hard Unix (SVR4) fan warned me to steer
clear of it, but nonetheless I'm playing around carefully with the latest
beta version, which presumably he hadn't tried. The aim is to be able to use
--force --nodeps with a quiet heart :-)

http://checkinstall.izto.org/files/source

"Proper Unix people" use 'stow' for avoiding conflicts, but 'stow'
doesn't solve rpm problems.

Best,

Tony

--