Can't delete entry (renewed)

I have run into a problem on two occasions where an ldapdelete operation
won't work.  The entry in the database stubbornly refuses to be deleted.
The error that occurs when ldapdelete is run is:

"Delete Result: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
Additional info: DN index delete failed"

The log entry for the attempt reads:

"=> bdb_dn2id_delete: subtree (uid=username,ou=people,dc=example,dc=net)
delete failed: -30990"

A search on the entry in the database succeeds and all the objects and
attributes look normal.

I noticed that in a previous thread
(http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200209/msg00651.html)
this issue was discussed and Kurt said that the issue was fixed in
openldap-2.1.5.  But I am running 2.1.9 and this still occurs.  Also
using db-4.0.14-14 on RedHat 8.0.  I
ran db_recover and still I cannot delete the entries.

Anyone know what might cause this to occur?  Anyone know of any way to
force deletion of an entry when this problem occurs?

Thanks,

Mike