bash script for adding computers

I am working on a bash script for adding computers. If I can get an example of a search routine (using ldapsearch) that will return the highest uidNumber for ou=Computers,dc=example,dc=com. So far I've not been able to get this info from the database but I've been doing some research and I think that the rest *can* be done without creating an ldif file. Creating such a file would affect scaleabiltiy according to previous conversations. The reason I would like to see this done in bash is that a greater number of administrators should know enough bash to read such a script and know what it is doing. This and I am going to comment the heck out of it just in case. ;-)