RE: Slurpd Replog being constantly re-written

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Garry Thomas wrote:

> 	Not sure if I understand... Does it matter where the file
> resides? I've been running with 2.0.25 Master/Slaves for a while on
> another install, and under normal operation, slurpd truncates the file,
> but slapd doesn't rewrite it. In this case, slurpd is truncating the
> file, then slapd is re-writing it (or at least that what it looks like).

No, it doesn't matter (as long as the great unwashed cannot read it) but
my impression was that you happened to pick the same file for slapd
("replogfile") as used by slurpd.  Where is slurpd's operating
directory?  It's where you'll find slurpd.status etc.

> 	If I read what you've written another way, by default, RedHat
> 8.0 has the replog file specified as a remarked...
>
> #replogfile     /var/lib/ldap/master-slapd.replog
>
> 	and I changed this to
>
> replogfile	/var/lib/ldap/replica/slapd.replog
>
> 	to match what the old 1.2.13 install had. So what your saying is
> Slurpd's 'private' file, is overwriting Slapd's file. So am I looking at
> a difference between 1.2.x and 2.0.x, or have I just been dead-lucky
> with other installs? Maybe only I can answer that best after a bit more
> tinkering ;)

I think that's what's happening, yes, but you didn't say where slurpd's
directory was (specified by -t, or defaulting somewhere).

The symptoms you reported seem to be consistent with slapd writing the
file, slurpd chiming in and truncating it then rewriting it to its own
file, which being the same file as slapd uses caused it to happen all
over again, and again...

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9906-7866  Fx: 9906-1556
Corinthian Engineering, Level 1, 401 Pacific Hwy, Artarmon, NSW 2064, Australia