RE: what is the magnitude of openldap replication delay

way too long

-----Original Message-----
From: james liang [mailto:blueyonder@excite.com]
Sent: donderdag 21 november 2002 8:05
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: what is the magnitude of openldap replication delay

Hi,

How long is the delay for openldap's replication mechanism?  I am interested
in the ballpark number people may have experience in the past.

I am currently investigating the following openldap implementation for a
project.
1. there is one primary openldap server for handling writes.
2. there are 5 readonly openldap servers that are replicated from the
primary write openldap server whenever changes happen.

changes are always written to the primary openldap write server.  reads are
load balance against the readonly openldap servers.  i am expecting 5% write
traffic.  There are a couple million entries in total.  During peak traffic
there are about 400,000 requests.  I think changes needs to be replicated
within 1 second.  The hardwares are amd 1500 boxes running linux over a
100mb lan.  I need to determine if the delay in the replication mechanism is
within tolerance of my app.

-thanks
James

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com