RE: Documentation volunteer (was: Cluster replication: multiple masters)

When you can solve the problems in
 http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200206/msg00446.html
then you might have something worth writing about.

In the general case, there are unsolvable problems with conflict resolution.

There is a specific case where you might profitably use multimastering: in a
situation where you have multiple redundant servers, but only a single one is
ever targeted for write operations (thus avoiding change conflicts). In this
scenario, if the "write server" crashes you can immediately failover to any
one of the other redundant servers; in essence you are still doing
master-slave replication, but with automatic promotion of a slave to master
status. It is not straightforward to enforce the single-writer usage though;
i.e., there's no simple way to ensure that clients only write to the
currently selected write server.

  -- Howard Chu