Re: Mysql as a backend for LDAP

Not really.  LDAP is not geared for a heavy write environment - it's geared for applications that are light on writes and heavy on reads.  LDAP is not a replacement for relational databases - it's just another method of getting data to people that need the data.  You can also do a heck of a lot more things with a relational database (or an object/relational database) than you can with LDAP in terms of manipulating/messaging data in an _efficient fashion_.  Because of this, businesses still need to run some kind of relational database to store their data in and that means using a database as a backend and LDAP as a front end to that don't.

Also, don't get confused with LDAP as a protocol and LDAP as a data store.  You can store your data in whatever, wherever, and however you like and still deliver it via LDAP.  That was exactly the point.  A lot of people tend to view LDAP as a data store and that is not what LDAP is all about.  LDAP is mostly about data delivery - not data storage.  A prime example of this is Netscape's directory server which used to (I'm not sure if they still do) use Sybase as the data repository.

Andrew Tristan wrote:
Oddly, I frequently use the same reason to argue for putting data in
ldap rather than oracle or mysql.  The fact that ldap is based on open
standards while rdbms aren't (last I took the time to look, anyway)
seems to me to weigh heavily in ldap's favor.
Best,
Andrew